1/31/2010

I MESS UP MY HAIR FOR FREE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I started cutting my own hair about 4 years ago. I got so tired of going to salons and paying all this money for a bad hair cut. I would have to come home and try to fix it anyway.

So I figured what was the point in paying for someone to mess up my hair. About 4 years ago was the breaking point for me. I went to get a haircut when my son was 6 months old. The woman (devil) cut my hair with a razor. My hair was dry I might add and it actually, physically hurt.

By the time she was done with me my hair was shredded. I mean ruined. I was so upset and angry. What I have discovered is that wavy hair should not be cut with a razor. Us wavy haired girls are not going to get the magazine pictures. The funny thing was I didn't ask for a certain magazine style and I thought she might know what in the world she was doing.

That became the beginning of my short hair and me cutting my own hair. My husband was not too thrilled in the beginning-believe me. But I have come to feel more comfortable with short hair than with longer hair.

Now I have no training and know nothing about cutting hair. It has been trial and error. I use my family as guinea pigs and that are fine with it. I have had some big oops but at least I wasn't paying someone else for it. I cut my husbands hair,my 4 year old sons,my 12 year old sons and my 15 year old daughters hair. Nobody else cuts their hair and it has been that way for 4 years. It was the same with my kids and husband. You pay someone to cut it and it is a disaster. I am sure there are some good stylists where we live but I prefer to not seek them out anymore. I buy my scissors at trade secret and my clippers for the boys from Walmart. The only other items that I need are the capes and big brush that I buy to keep the hair from itching them while I am cutting. I buy the capes and the brush from Sally Beauty Supply. You could also just use a big makeup brush to dust the hair away if you chose.

I think I am lucky in the fact that the little waviness left in my hair conceals alot of my mistakes. I know it is weird but cutting my own hair is liberating to me. I don't stress too much about messing up. I sometimes don't care how it turns out because it is a learning experience of what not to do next time. Also my kids have always liked their cuts and my daughter get tons of compliments from her picky teenage friends:) I get more compliments on my hairstyles now than I ever did when I was going to salons and I save money. Just thought I would share this little bit of info with you.

No comments: